Busy weekend for Skerries RNLI with three call outs in 24 hours

Skerries RNLI Stands by motor boat under tow

Skerries RNLI responded to three separate call outs to vessels in difficulty over the weekend with 10 people brought safely to shore.

Shortly before 5pm on Monday (04 August) the volunteer crew launched their Atlantic 85 lifeboat Louis Simson following reports from a passing boat of a 25 foot motor craft in difficulty in shallow waters off Donabate beach.

The lifeboat with Conor Walsh at the helm and crewed by Gerry Canning, Peter Kennedy and Stephen Crowley proceeded directly to the area. Once on scene, the lifeboat stood by while the Howth Coast Guard boat, having already reached the casualty established a tow and manoeuvred them into deeper water. There were seven persons on board the motor boat and as they were unable to raise their anchor, one of the Skerries RNLI volunteers boarded the vessel and attached a float to the anchor line before cutting it free. The lifeboat then recovered the anchor and returned it to the casualty vessel. As a precaution the lifeboat stood by while Howth Coast Guard towed the vessel to the safety of Malahide marina.

The second call out of the day came as the volunteer crew were preparing the recover the lifeboat upon returning to Skerries. A number of people on shore had voiced concerns about a small motor boat that seemed to be having difficulty starting their engine. The lifeboat quickly spotted the 8 foot motor boat with three men on board who began waving as the lifeboat approached to indicate they required assistance. The men were taken on board the lifeboat and their boat was towed safely to shore.

At the time of the rescue there was a force four southerly wind gusting to force five or six with choppy seas.

Almost exactly 24 hours before the first call out at 5pm on Sunday (03 August) , as the lifeboat was returning from a ceremonial blessing of the boats as part of Rush harbour festival, Dublin Coast Guard requested they divert to assist a yacht that was experiencing difficulties removing their sails outside Balbriggan harbour.

The lifeboat with Rob Morgan on Helm and AJ Hughes ,David Shankey and Paddy Dillon on board made their way directly to the location given. As they approached the yacht it became clear that the sail had been taken under control and after confirming that everyone on board was safe and well the lifeboat returned to station.

Speaking of the call outs, Niall McGrotty , Lifeboat Operations Manager for Skerries RNLI said: ’It was a busy weekend for our volunteers, we’d like to remind everyone going to sea to ensure they have adequate safety equipment and a means of contacting the shore should they get into difficulty.’